This Tiffany Favrile Glass Vase is notable for the deep saturation of the blue glass used for the body; the color is a variation on the Tel el Amarna and Mazarin Blue glass developed by Tiffany Studios around 1909.
The baluster form body of the vase is articulated in deep blue glass with soft surface iridescence, while the straight neck, in iridescent silvery black glass, is decorated with a motif of chain links in a brighter teal blue which encase silvery horizontal striations.
Though for many years this style of vase has been referred to as “Tel el Amarna,” recent scholarship has revealed that the Tel el Amarna designation refers to a specific color of blue glass, not the series of vases or the decoration. Period records and archives from Tiffany Studios indicate that these vases were more commonly listed under the name Byzantine, a reference to the decoration on the necks of the vases inspired by ancient glassware (which was also adapted for use in Favrile Glass lamp shades).
This piece of original Tiffany blown glass is signed on the underside with date code.
A vase of related form with similar decoration on the neck in iridescent gold glass was part of Louis Comfort Tiffany’s personal collection at Laurelton Hall, and is illustrated in The Art Glass of Louis Comfort Tiffany by Tiffany scholar Paul Doros; the two vases share the E suffix and are approximately 100 numbers away from each other in sequence.
Related example illustrated:
Paul Doros, The Art Glass of Louis Comfort Tiffany, New York, 2013, p. 95
Height: 7 ½ inches (19.1 cm)
Diameter: 3 ¼ inches (8.3 cm)